4-Year-Old Boy Leads Married Couple to Baptism
By Samson Obedi
Teacher made a big announcement to the children’s Sabbath School class in a church in Goroka, Papua New Guinea.
“Next week, we are going to have visitors day,” she said. “I’d like each of you to bring a visitor.
Four-year-old Andrew Seth listened attentively as Teacher spoke. He wondered, “Who am I going to bring to Sabbath School next week?”
Walking home after church, he remembered a friend of his father named Mr. Samuel Gini. Both his father and Mr. Gini worked as teachers at the same school. Andrew thought, “I could ask him to be my visitor on Sabbath. That would be great!”
Early Sunday morning, Andrew went to Mr. Gini’s house and knocked on the door. Mr. Gini came out and saw Andrew.
“Hi Andrew,” he said. “It is early in the morning. How can I help you?”
“Mr. Gini,” Andrew said. “I went to Sabbath School, and my teacher told me that we are having visitors day next Sabbath. She told us to bring a visitor, and I thought of you. So, I am here to ask you if you can be my visitor on Sabbath.”
Mr. Gini, who went to church on Sundays, thought for a moment and replied, “Andrew, I’ll think about it.” Seeing Andrew’s disappointed face, he quickly added, “It’s OK. I’ll be your visitor on Sabbath.”
Andrew went home and told his parents. Mother was really excited and said, “We’ll prepare lunch for Mr. Gini and his wife after the worship service.”
Every morning during family worship that week, Andrew prayed for Mr. Gini and his wife.
Sabbath arrived, and Andrew was the first to wake up and get dressed in his church clothes. He had nothing to give to his friend, so he picked a flower to present as a special gift.
Andrew hurried to Mr. Gini’s house with the flower. Hiding the flower behind his back, he knocked on the door and called out, “Mr. Gini!”
He heard the door open and saw someone coming out. It wasn’t Mr. Gini. It was his wife.
“Andrew, good morning,” Mrs. Gini said. “Good morning, Mrs. Gini,” said Andrew. “Andrew, how can I help you?” she said. “I am here for Mr. Gini,” said Andrew. “I told him that he would be my visitor in Sabbath School class today.” Mrs. Gini was surprised, and she said, “He didn’t tell me about that. He left for his village yesterday.”
Andrew felt sad and thought, “What am I going to do? Who will I take as my visitor to church?”
Then a thought sprang into his mind, “Since Mr. Gini is not here, then ask Mrs. Gini to be your visitor today.”
Andrew quickly looked up and said, “Mrs. Gini, since Mr. Gini is not here, would you care to be my visitor today?”
Now Mrs. Gini was very surprised. But she knew that Mr. Gini had promised the small boy to be his visitor, and she wanted to honor that commitment.
“Give me a minute,” she said. “I’ll get myself ready and come to church as your special visitor.”
Andrew waited as she got herself ready. She came out, and he gave her the flower. Then he held her hand and took her to church. Mother was at church and saw Andrew walk in with Mrs. Gini. She couldn’t believe her eyes because she knew that Mrs. Gini was not a Seventh-day Adventist. She was a strong believer of another faith.
Mother began to cry. She hugged Mrs. Gini and welcomed her to church. Mrs. Gini went with Andrew to his Sabbath School class. After that, she stayed for the sermon and went to Andrew’s home for lunch.
After that, Mrs. Gini started coming to church ever Sabbath. She learned more about the Adventist faith and especially the Sabbath. It was the first time that she learned the truth about keeping the Sabbath in the Bible. She accepted the Sabbath and, after a few months of studying the Bible, she was baptized. Mr. Gini joined her afterward and also became a member of the church.
Samson Obedi is personal ministries and Sabbath School director of Eastern Highlands Simbu Mission in Papua New Guinea.
World Church Prayer Requests
October 28 – November 4, 2018
• PRAYER REQUEST: Pray that God would help us (those that are parents) have wisdom how to raise our children for the kingdom. Pray that God would help us (those that are not parents) to raise spiritual children for the kingdom, and to know how to be living testimonies for His glory.
• PRAYER REQUEST: Please pray the young people of your local church, that they will learn how to be little missionaries just like Andrew who invited his neighbor to church.
• PRAYER REQUEST: Please pray for the General Conference Children’s ministries director Linda Koh, as well as her associate director
• PRAYER REQUEST: Pray for your local pastor and his family, that God will protect them from the attacks of the enemy and that they will faithfully share the Word of God to the hungry flock. Pray for special wisdom and strength and courage to stand strong for the Lord.
• PRAYER REQUEST: Pray for the local leadership of your conference, mission, Union, and Division. Division year-end meetings are taking place now and in the coming days. Pray for the leaders by name if you know them. Pray that the Holy Spirit will bless the ministry and work of those in leadership, and that they will lead wisely.
• PRAYER REQUEST: Pray that God will help us as a people have clarity on issues we are facing as a church. May we recognize that the enemy of our souls is the author of confusion, and it is he that we are fighting against, not those whose opinions may differ from our own. (Consider reading a recent article by Mark Finley, "Mystifying Myths.")