Angels Still Work Miracles Today!
By Clifford Sutherland
I grew up on a small island in the Caribbean. It is 18 miles long at its longest point, and at its widest point, it is 10 miles wide. The island has a total area of 133 square miles. It is very mountainous, and at the northern end of the island, there is an active volcano. The roads are narrow and winding and only wide enough for one vehicle in some parts. These narrow roads crisscross the island up the mountains and down through many lush green valleys.
After graduation from high school, I attended a teacher’s training college for a year and then was hired as an elementary school teacher for the government. The school I was assigned to was in the island’s center, so I had to hike over the mountains and valleys to work each day. After about a year, I had saved enough money for a down payment on a small motorcycle, and now I could ride to school instead of walking.
One day, my mother said to me, “Cliff, before you go to school today, I want you to deliver a package to Mrs. Williams.” Mrs. Williams was a member of our church, and she lived up in the mountains. So, I tied the package to the back of the motorcycle, and away I went up the mountain around the sharp curves in the road until I reached my destination. I delivered the package to Mrs. Williams and turned around to go back down the mountain road. I was going fast as I came around a sharp turn, and coming straight at me was a large truck. Now, remember, the roads are very narrow. There was a steep precipice on one side, and on the other side were the high slopes of the mountain. There was not enough room to pass on either side. What to do?!
I slammed on the motorcycle’s brakes, but I was going too fast, and there was gravel on the road. The bike continued rushing down the mountain, skidding along the route, and I knew I would not stop before I hit the truck.
The next moment I found myself sitting on the side of the road. I had no recollection of jumping off the motorcycle or falling off. I only know that I was suddenly sitting on the side of the road. I was wearing a long-sleeve white shirt and long tan pants. There was not a speck of dirt anywhere on my clothes. If I had fallen or jumped off, my clothes would have been dirty. I would probably have had some bruises or cuts on my arms or legs, but I had nothing. As the saying goes, “There was not a hair out of place.”
You may be wondering what happened to the motorcycle. It ended up under the truck in a heap of tangled metal. It was a total loss.
I have often pondered how this miracle happened. The only explanation I have is that my angel took me off the motorcycle and placed me on the side of the road. The Lord says in the book of Psalms that He will send His angels to watch over us. So, trust in the Lord. In this life, we will face trials and troubles, but if we place our trust in God, He will take care of us.
Story used with permission of Time to Get Ready Ministries.
World Church Prayer Requests
November 25 – December 1, 2022
- Pray for “Centers of Influence” being developed in cities around the world. Pray for the Mission to the Cities initiative, and for workers to answer the call to serve. There are still so many large urban areas with no Adventist presence.
- Pray for the Middle East and North Africa Union (MENA) and for the difficult work in this region. Pray for the Holy Spirit to open doors and hearts.
- Pray for General Conference missionaries working with Adventist Missions, as well as the missionaries working with ASAP Ministries, Jesus for Asia, Adventist Frontier Missions and others.
- Pray for believers in the country of Iran. This country has nearly 84 million people, and there is no official Adventist church or membership.
- Pray for God to open the doors into North Korea. Pray for the Christian believers there who live under cover and/or are suffering for their faith.