”Lord, Help Me With the Exam!”
By Joakim Hjortland
It was the time of final exams, June 2016, at Tyrifjord Junior College, the Seventh-day Adventist boarding School in Norway, and the young woman was nervous – very nervous. She called her teacher—my mother—to ask for help. She called and spoke with her again and again, in fact, she called throughout the entire day.
“You do not need to be worried, because you have done your best,” my mom encouraged her.
The young lady remembered how she had been less worried and anxious in the past when she read her Bible and took time to pray. So later that day, the day before the exam, she decided to do just that.
As evening drew near, she decided to go for a walk in the beautiful surroundings of the school. While she walked out on the main road, a passing car suddenly slowed down and came to a stop beside her. After rolling down the window, the driver said, “You don’t need to be worried; it is going to go well!”
Did she hear right? She was amazed. That someone would stop in the middle of the road and say those words just at the time she needed them most would have been surprising enough; but to hear those words from a complete stranger, someone she had never seen before? It made it all the more astonishing.
“I hope God will help me,” she responded.
Now, to some her words might seem like a normal and natural response, but not for my friend. But somehow, those were the words that came out of her mouth. “He has already,” the man in the car replied and then drove away.
She calmed down and finally had peace in her heart. True to the stranger’s word, the exam the following day went well. Could this have been an angel sent from God? It definitely sounds like it to me. I look forward someday to find out who this person was. In the meantime, one thing is sure—there is no doubt that God heard her earnest prayers.
Whether you are in need of help for an exam right now or not; whether the burden(s) on your heart are big or small, rest assured: He knows. He cares. And He is able!
“He who upholds the unnumbered worlds throughout immensity, at the same time cares for the wants of the little brown sparrow that sings its humble song without fear. When men go forth to their daily toil, as when they engage in prayer; when they lie down at night, and when they rise in the morning; when the rich man feasts in his palace, or when the poor man gathers his children about the scanty board, each is tenderly watched by the heavenly Father. No tears are shed that God does not notice. There is no smile that He does not mark” (Steps to Christ, p. 85).
“Cast your burden on the Lord, And He shall sustain you; He shall never permit the righteous to be moved” (Psalm 55:22).
Let’s put our trust in His wonderful promises. Let’s live by those words – today, and every day.
Joakim Hjortland is leader of IMPACT Generation, board member of the Norwegian Union Conference Executive Committee, and author of A Prophet for This Generation. He writes from Bergen Norway.
To download this week's blog and prayer requests, click here!
World Church Prayer Requests
May 6-13, 2018
• PRAYER REQUEST: Across Japan there are currently 163 evangelistic sites with meetings being held. Please continue to pray earnestly for God to bring people to the meetings, for hearts to be touched, and for people to recognize their need of Christ. Pray for the lay people and pastors who are speaking for these meetings!
• PRAYER REQUEST: Please continue to pray for the leaders of the Northern Asia-Pacific Division (NSD). The NSD is the most populated division in the world, with about 1.6 billion people living in this region. Of the population, only about 3 percent are Christian. Pray especially for Si Young Kim, division president; Yutaka Inada, secretary; and German A. Lust, treasurer.
• PRAYER REQUEST: Please pray that church members in the NSD will have courage to stand strong for their faith, despite the persecution that they often face from family, friends, or even the government in certain regions.
• PRAYER REQUEST: Also, please pray for the Southern Asia Pacific Division (SSD) which is headquartered in Manila, Philippines. This division consists of 14 countries. Pray for Saw Samuel, division president; Rudy R. Baloyo, division secretary; and Max W. Langi, division treasurer. Please pray that God will give them wisdom for their work.
• PRAYER REQUEST: Please pray for the Total Member Involvement Events scheduled to happen in the Philippines in July 2018.
• PRAYER REQUEST: Please pray for the Centers of Influence in the SSD region, as they reach those in the urban cities. Pray for more volunteers and workers for these centers, so that Mission to the Cities can be accomplished.